The Israel Association of Writers in English (IAWE) will be accepting submissions for the 25th issue of arc, its annual literary journal, through May 31, 2016. Publication is targeted for the coming of winter.
The theme for arc 25 is A calm inside a storm. The theme may be embodied in any way, including consideration of the following suggested points or others entirely:
- How Israelis face and survive the daily threats to their lives and hopes
- How we find ourselves at odds in our beliefs and in our behavior
- How faith connects us even when it frays
- How we live a normal routine and love our lives despite everything
- What we live for; what we would fight and die for
- What dreams and visions we cultivate and bequeath to the next generation
- How the Israeli nation stands alone in a threatening world
- What solutions could resolve the physical and spiritual threats we face
This year’s editors will consider original, unpublished poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction, in English, from citizens or residents of Israel, regardless of membership in the IAWE. Submit one or more poems up to a maximum of 150 lines in all, or prose up to 1,500 words, together with your name and contact details, all as a single file in *.doc, *.docx, *.rtf, or *.txt format, to mailto:email@example.com. Only one file per submitter will be opened and considered for the issue.
Translations from Israeli writing in other languages will be considered, provided that the copyright holder has consented in advance.
The IAWE assumes a non-exclusive right to publish and republish at will in any form. Contributors retain copyright and may also republish, acknowledging that their work first appeared in arc. The editors consider not only quality, but also the various demands and constraints of the particular issue. The editors are under no obligation to accept any particular submission, and their decision is final. Beyond a complimentary copy of the issue, no payment is offered.