The proposal below is a draft based on a round of comments that took place offline. So far technical writers in Israel are divided on the need for a formal code of ethics, but this may change if the proposed code is improved upon. In the meantime elephant.org.il has adopted its own Code of Ethics.
Another issue that has both ethical and legal implications is the use and content of Non-Competition Agreements for technical writers.
Please read and comment. When adding a comment, make sure to click Preview then Save.
Proposal for Discussion
As a technical writer and member of the Yokneam Forum, I agree to observe the highest ethical and professional conduct and agree to:
1. Accept responsibility for my work.
2. Protect the Intellectual Property of my employers and clients to the best of my ability.
3. Avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist.
4. Credit properly the contributions of others.
5. Honor agreements, both written and verbal to the best of my ability.
6. Maintain and improve my technical competence.
7. Undertake documentation tasks only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations.
8. Seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work and documentation.
9. Acknowledge and correct errors.
10. Treat fairly all persons regardless of irrelevant factors such as race, religion, gender, disability, age, or national origin.
11. Avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action.
12. Assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of ethics.
Cutting a Contract Short - discussion on Techwr-l Start of thread...